EU support to Jordanian Democratic Institutions & Development (JDID) project , part of the EU funded programme “Enhanced support to democratic governance in Jordan”, is composed of four different but interconnected components.
1: Parliamentary Support
In line with national priorities and identified stakeholders' needs, within the first component the action will:
- Enhance institutional and human resources capability to provide high quality services to Members of Parliament;
- Enhance the House of Representatives' (HoR) legislative and oversight functions process, committee system and access to information and research;
- Strengthen the HoR’s role in budgetary (ex-ante) and ex –post financial oversight;
- Provide a new conference and voting system, including training to the relevant department on using the system;
- Continue the support to the development of effective Parliamentary blocs to contribute to the strengthening of the HoR's functions;
- Further develop and improve engagement and outreach mechanisms with Jordan citizens.
2: Electoral Assistance
In order to enhance the functioning of the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC), the project will:
- Strengthen the institutional framework and HR capacities of the IEC;
- Reinforce IEC's capacities in legal, technical and operational planning;
- Strengthen its outreach and relations with stakeholders (in particular women and youth) through inter alia media and social media;
- Enhance a professional and transparent management system of electoral disputes.
3:Support to Political Party System
The programme component on the support to political party system will:
- Focus on the ties between political parties and the Parliament and on enhancing citizens’ political participation ;
- Consolidate political parties’ capacities to produce sound programmes and policy positions;
- Support the enhancement of women leaders to influence decision-making;
- Support substantive and productive dialogue between political parties and blocks in the HoR and between groups of political and civic actors;
- Enhance the capacities of MoPPA on electoral law, political parties and other tenets of the multi-party system, including facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogue .
4: Civil Society Support
Within the fourth component, the main activities can be gathered together in three main groups:
- Provide training assistance to CSOs
- Provide financial assistance to CSOs
- Provide a learning program for young CSOs activists