Mr. Jose Manuel Pinto-Teixeira joined the project “EU Support to Jordanian Democratic Institutions & Development, EU-JDID” earlier in December 2017 as Programme Coordinator.
Mr. Pinto-Teixeira is a former EU official and he has been recently appointed as a Vice President of the Management Board of the “European Centre for Electoral Support, ECES.
In his role of Programme coordinator, he will provide senior management expertise, organisational and monitoring leadership to the project for the implementation of all activities.
Mr. Pinto Teixeira has a high-level professional career, having served five times as Ambassador of the EU/ Head of Delegation in several countries, including: Cabo Verde (10/2012 – 08/2017); Ukraine ( 09/2008 – 09/2012 ), Belarus (resident in Kiev – 10/2008 – 09/2011), Mozambique (09/2002 – 01/2006 ) and Macedonia ( 03/1998 – 08/2002).
In addition to this, he previously worked as:
- Head of Unit at the EU HQ in charge of relations with Southern Africa, PALOP (Portuguese speaking countries in Africa and Timor Leste, CPLP - Community of Portuguese Speaking countries (09/2006 - 08/2008).
- Head of Unit at EU HQ for Pan-African Affairs (02 – 08/2006)
- Head of EU Humanitarian mission (ECHO) in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia (01/1996 – 02/1998)
- Head of EU Humanitarian mission (ECHO) for Grate Lakes Crisis (Rwanda, Burundi, Zaire, and Tanzania) – (1995)
- Head of EU Humanitarian mission (ECHO) for Caucasus (Russia – Ingushetia, Chechnya, Dagestan – Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia) – 1994
- Counsellor, Chargé d'affairs in the EU Delegation Angola (08/1992 – 02/1994)
- Adviser to the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Portuguese Presidency of the EU (11/1991 – 07/1992)
- Counsellor, EU Delegation in Swaziland (04/1988 – 11/1991)
- Project Manager in Mozambique (09/1985 – 01/1988) with Norwegian Agency for Development (NORAD)
- Professional engineering and project management in various countries, such as Portugal, South Africa, Mozambique, Saudi Arabia, Cabo Verde (1977 – 1983).
In regards to his educational background, he has post-graduate degree in Political Economy of Development at the London School of Economics. He also completed postgraduate studies from Technical University of Norway and he graduated in Civil Engineering from the Technical University of Lisbon.
Mr. Pinto-Teixeira is a native Portuguese speaker and he is fluent in English, French, Italian, Spanish, and Russian. He also has a fair knowledge of Dutch, Afrikaans, Norwegian and Macedonian.